Sunday, May 22, 2011

Radishes And Green Onions


I'm finally getting around to planting some seeds in the bare areas. In this little section I put down some radish and green onion seeds.
In this case each piece of toilet paper has five seeds glued to it.
The top two are Cherry Belle radishes, so ten there. The middle row is Parade green onions, 15 there. The last row has eight Cherry Belle, 40 in that row.
My sucess with seeds in the ground is not very good, even with some thing as easy as radishes. In my defence the radish seed is old and I am not very good at keeping my collection of seed packets well care for while they are hanging out around the house and yard.
My biggest problem has been trying to find a nice seed cover to work with. I have tried many combinations and screened compost and even when I do have some success it just keeps adding up to extra time to get it done.
I finally bought a bag of a seed cover which is really made for lawn seed. It doesn't appear to be more than screened compost, but it seems to be a bit courser than what I was coming up with. I think mine was a little too finely screened.
I hope this works, because if it does it will make things much easier.
I do eat all of the radishes and green onions that I can grow and it kills me to have to buy them when I should have them in the yard. If I can get better success with the seeds I would like to be able to start seeds of both every two weeks for a continuous crop.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]






Your Ad Here