Saturday, April 14, 2007

Swiss Chard Isn't That Bad!

Swiss Chard
I grow a lot of spinach. It makes a great salad and when I have too much a stir fry with other vegetables from the garden is quick, easy and good. Keep in mind I'm talking about a quick stir fry, not something that would turn out like that frozen stuff for the grocery store.
While buying some seeds I spotted Swiss Chard (Lucullus). I've never grown it or even eaten it that I can remember.
The description on the seed package was:
If Spinach has been hard to grow in your garden it's time you try Swiss Chard. The crinkled green leaves of this variety look and taste a lot like Spinach. But when hot weather causes spinach to bolt (go to seed), Swiss Chard keeps on producing. Use the thick crisp white stalks like Celery, or chop and cook with the leaves.
Well two things. First I wasn't having trouble with bolting. Second I don't really believe all of what they write on the seed packages. But I like to try new different things that I would not just pick up at the store, so they suckered me in.
I haven't used this in a salad or stir fry yet, but I have used it in soups. Not bad. The leaves are big, so just picking one or two is enough for the meal. I have three of these plants and can see that maybe planting one every two months would be plenty. Trying to give away some to the neighbors wouldn't work as they would probably turn up their noses.
It's ok, it scores in my garden.


Swiss Chard

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]






Your Ad Here