Friday, December 15, 2006

Summer Is Over

StepsIt's December now so it's time to be realistic about removing the last of the summer plants. The problem is that I can never quite get this done. Something always needs to stay just a little longer.
For example the garden pictured here gets about half of the amount of sun lite that it received during the summer. The eggplant in the front may not be the most beautiful plant, but it is still producing fruit. I have two other eggplants still producing also, so I can get rid of this one. The main reason I want to pull it out is that it is shading 2 Koto cucumbers behind it.
Again summer plants, but I had planted seeds in containers way late just to see if I could get the plants to take off in late fall. The seeds never sprouted and the containers were pushed off to the side. Many weeks later they did sprout. Not being able to discard them I decided to plant them and felt that If I could get just one cucumber off of these transplants I would be happy. They are that good!
If you haven't tried Japanese cucumbers you should. During the summer I had Koto and the regular garden variety Straight 8 and I'm not sure if I will even bother with the Straight 8 next summer. I'll look for more of the Japanese varieties.
StepsThis is the first time that I've grown Okra. The variety pictured is Louisiana Green Velvet. The other variety I tried this summer was Clemson Spineless.
The Louisiana Green Velvet is 9' tall. I just picked some the other day and there are more on the plant and also new blossoms. It can stay awhile longer as it is not shading my cucumbers.
Each of the Koto plants has one cucumber growing. If I can get both to mature in this cool weather I'll be happy.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]






Your Ad Here